This weekend I tried my hand at Simplicity Pattern 1873 from the Cynthia Rowley Collection. Simplicity patterns were on sale, so I picked it up for $1.99! Paired with the fabric, which is an old sheet I got for $2 from Salvation Army, this project only cost me $4!
I will preface this by saying I have only made a handful of items from real patterns, and though I have a pretty good base knowledge of sewing,I am still learning about making clothing. I had some help with this from the Collette Patterns Sewing Book (a birthday gift from Husband!)
This pattern was fairly easy to use, and came out super cute! By my measurements, the pattern back claims I should have used a combo of a size 16 and 18 pattern (Note that pattern sizings are very different than today's clothing sizing! They can also run baggy and looser even when you go by your measurements, so you may have to experiment!) BUT the Size 14 pattern fit me perfectly, with next to zero size adjustments! Fantastic!
I made a few stylistic adjustments to my garment. I added a Peter Pan style collar. I used this tutorial at Adventures in Dressmaking as a guideline, but instead of adding it on top of the dress as she does with the tank top, I sewed it between the linings so there would be no raw edges.
I made a gathered rectangle skirt instead of using the pattern's skirt (not enough material!). I also added pockets (a necessity for all skirts and dresses of course! Click the link for a tutorial.) for practicality and adorableness.
I spent about 3 days on this dress. 2 days on the bulk of the work, and the third day reworking the zipper and finishing overall. I took my time and stopped and took breaks when I got frustrated. It's not perfect, I messed up some of the understitching (which helps keep the linings laying flat) and I had to redo the zipper like 10 times, but it is now fully functional, fitted, comfortable and ready from warmer weather!
Thanks for reading!